[Samba] samba4 [homes] | canonicalize_connect_path failed for service

mourik jan heupink heupink at merit.unu.edu
Tue Jan 28 12:19:24 MST 2014

Hi,

Meanwhile we've come many steps further, and a new issue has risen. In
samba4 AD we have a user with:

- homeDirectory \\server\username
- homeDrive P:
- scriptPath logon.bat

When this user logs on, logon.bat is executed successfully, but
homeDirectory is NOT mounted on P: and in the logs we see:

canonicalize_connect_path failed for service username,
path /\\server\username

It seems that samba is thinking that homeDirectory should be in a
path-form, and not a UNC? However, most (if not all?) docs tell me that
homeDirectory should be a UNC...

This is Version 4.1.4-SerNet-Debian-7.wheezy. The [homes] section:

[homes]
         comment=Home directory for %S
         read only = No
         browseable = No

Now, if I add "path = /home/%S" to the homes section then things
suddenly start working.

Anyone else seeing this? Is this expected behaviour?

MJ