[Samba] samba4 and sssd and user mapping

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Jan 27 09:53:17 MST 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 02:16:55PM +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:

> You can run smbd without winbind even being installed, but just what
> are you going to with winbind if smbd is not installed.

Provide single-sign-on with offline capability to a Linux
workstation in a Microsoft-AD environment ?

I say this because I got sent to Paris (*) a long time ago
to fix a winbind bug at a customer who was doing precisely
that :-). I think Guenther later got sent to the same customer
to fix a follow-on issue :-).

Of course this was before sssd had been created, and
I don't know the sssd code at all (although I greatly
respect Simo and the Red Hat Team that created it)
but winbind is perfectly capable in this scenario.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.

(*) It was at such short notice and over a weekend
that I made them pay for a business class flight,
so it all worked out in the end :-).