[Samba] Win7 login script not running

Ricky Nance ricky.nance at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 08:50:16 MST 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM, <samba1 at nym.hush.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that.
>
> I’ve tried it on another Windows7 PC with a new machine name and
> username, and that does the same thing.
>
> I set the option to show login scripts in the foreground, and some
> other related parameters (Run Synchronously, Allow scripts if
> NetBios/DNS disabled, Always wait for network at computer startup,
> Run legacy scripts unhidden).  However, still no joy, and it
> doesn’t open a command window when loading which seems to indicate
> it’s making no attempt to run the script.
>
> I’m not sure if it’s relevant but the [homes] share is working okay
> – drive G: is mapped to the user’s home directory.
>
> I wondered if it was a timing issue – noticed that after entering
> the password and Windows was displaying the ‘Welcome’ screen that
> the user’s login script wasn’t on the Samba server.  It appears to
> be created as the user’s Windows desktop loads.  However, I
> configured Samba to not delete/create login scripts, so that the
> user’s login script was always available, and that made no
> difference.
>
> I was only using the %username% environment variable to explicitly
> call the login script from the user’s Startup Group in Windows –
> not an ideal solution, and I’d really like to have the login script
> launching automatically.  %username% is correctly set to the user’s
> login name.
>
> It’s really strange… I must be missing something really simple!
>

> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 13:39:50 +0000 "Gaiseric Vandal"
> <gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >I am not sure if the "logon script" parameter is smb.conf trumps
> >the
> >"logon script" parameter set for a user (i.e. the one you see in
> >pdbedit.)
> >
> >I don't set a "logon script" in smb.conf.  Instead, each user has
> >"logon script" parameter set.   I also don't use the %username% or
> >other
> >variables in the "logon script" parameter.   I am not using a
> >different
> >logon script for each user.   The script itself does have a line
> >for
> >"net use x: %homeshare%"   to map each user's individual home
> >directory.
> >

> >I suspect the issue may be the %username% variable is not being
> >resolve
> >correctly.   After you log in, does the "set" command from a
> >command
> >prompt show you the environmental variables that you expect?
> >
> >Windows 7 runs the login scripts in the back ground by default- so
> >it
> >makes it a little harder to see if something is going wrong.
> >You can
> >change that behavior with gpedit.
> >

> >On 01/27/14 08:15, samba1 at nym.hush.com wrote:
> >> Thanks very much for your reply.
> >>
> >> I was working on this all day yesterday, and just can’t get it to
> >> work.
> >>
> >> It’s as though Windows7 simply isn’t executing the login script.

> [...]

Are you able to run the script after logging in by doing start -> run -> \\
ip.to.sam.ba\netlogon then double clicking the script? Have you tried
adding a 'pause' command to the end of your batch file to see what happens?
Would you mind pasting your batch file and your perl script here so we can
see whats happening?

Thanks,
Ricky