[Samba] Groups and ldap

Fredrik Gustafsson iveqy at iveqy.com
Sun Jan 26 08:35:22 MST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 04:02:05PM +0100, Noël Köthe wrote:
> Am Montag, den 20.01.2014, 09:25 +0100 schrieb Fredrik Gustafsson:
>
> > I've a working samba configuration with shares mapped to groups with
> > "valid users = @smbusers". It all works fine with tdbsam as a backend.
> > Now I've switched to ldapsam as a backend. I've a working openldap
> > server that my windows machines authenticate to. Each user is also a
> > linux-user but linux does not use ldap but /etc/passwd.
> >
> > However the groups in does not work and I can't access the shares with
> > "valid users = @smbusers". I've also tried to have "valid users =
> > @HOSTNAME/smbusers" without success.
> >
> > How is the correct way to specify a ldap group to authenticate to?
>
> Yes. "valid users = @groupname" ist the correct share option.
> Are your groups listed in "getent group"?

Thanks for validating that I was on the right track. I'd a couple of
share that I wanted to share to @smbusers without success. However
adding a new group in /etc/group with the same users but with a new GID
and a new group name (sambausers) and then user @sambausers instead in
smb.conf worked.

Am I missing something obvious?

--