[Samba] 2 factor authentication with samba

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 07:46:53 MST 2014

RSA Authentication Manager + Securid tokens might be an option.   It is
a commercial product, not fee.      I haven't used it with Windows
desktop authentication for a while.  If a remember correctly, you
install the RSA agent for Windows on each PC, then when the user logins
in, he or she is prompted for user id, windows password and Secure ID
passcode. (Passcode is your PIN  + the token code that changes every 30
- 60 seconds on your token.)   Samba server itself is unaware of the RSA
authentication.

The RSA agent for linux is a pam agent (or alternately, you can use
RADIUS  to talk to RSA server)   although getting Samba to work with pam
or other external authentication might require using passwords stored in
plain text or transmitted in the clear or something undesirable.

RSA will provide trials, including tokens.