[Samba] Samba Xattr and Execute Bit always set.

Prunk Dump prunkdump at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 05:11:15 MST 2014

Thank you very much for your help !

>> Repeat: the x bit is NOT set. Gnome is looking at it with the same eyes
>> as you before you began this thread

Ok, so I need to understand this cifs viewpoint.

[On the server]

My network share is stored on a ext4 file system that support POSIX.1
permissions, ACL and xattr. So if the server access the share directly
_without a cifs mount_ the "rwx" bits have the classic UNIX sense,
right ?

On the server if I log as a samba4 user, winbind give me a an uid,gid
and the "read' and "write" permissions seems to work well without
passing through a cifs mount. Other teachers can't modify my files. It
seems that a DOS<->UNIX mapping is not needed.

But in this case the POSIX.1 and ACL execute bit make the files
executable from the shell. So the file created from a windows client
are executable if I log directly on the server.

[On a windows client]

When you say :

>> Repeat: the x bit is NOT set.

You mean that on the windows client the permission to execute the file
is not set, right ? In the windows security tab you mean ?

[On the linux client]

When I mount the cifs share from a linux client a see exactly the same
permissions with getfacl that when I access the file system directly.
It is like a NFS share ! So Bash  treat the ACL like a classic Unix
permissions and all the file are executable from the shell. A can
execute a bash script created from windows.

I have seen that it is possible to share a samba4 cifs share with
NFS4. It seems the problem I have is exactly the same as keeping the
compatibility between cifs and NFS4 on a same share.

> Unfortunately, Nautilus (from what I recall) doesn’t handle POSIX ACLs correctly. In KDE, we finally got kio_file (the backend to Dolphin and Konqueror in file manager mode) to treat this correctly.

Bash can execute the file on the share. It is not only a Gnome problem.

Thanks ! Baptiste.