[Samba] samba4 and sssd and user mapping

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Jan 23 03:54:49 MST 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 08:14 -0200, Márcio Merlone wrote:
> Em 22-01-2014 19:04, Björn JACKE escreveu:
> > On 2014-01-20 at 11:25 +0100 Denis Cardon sent off:
> >> on a server running samba4 with sssd for nsswitch mapping, I
> >> realized recently that on windows workstation in the "folder
> >> propery/security tab", users are mapped as "Unix user\userlogin"
> >> instead of "DOMAINNAME\userlogin".
> > (...)
> > Because I read the sssd recommendations so often on the list recently - once
> > more: sssd is NOT the right thing for Samba member server setups.
>
> Scary. Why you say so? Any rationale?

+1
With sssd including a first class AD backend built around the samba4
libraries themselves, I too would would like to know why 'sssd in NOT
the right thing'. As a hands on user with very limited resources, who
has to maintain a domain with 600 adoslescents throwing everything they
can at it, I'd say it's the ONLY way to go;)