[Samba] 2 factor authentication with samba

Christian Ritter lnxlists at lownoize.org
Thu Jan 23 01:24:26 MST 2014

Hello,

thanks for your reply Sven.

On 2014-01-22 11:18, Sven Schwedas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2014-01-22 10:57, Christian wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> has anyone experience using 2 factor auth with samba?
>> I just search for a stable/production ready solution, preferred with
>> otp
>> dongles.
>>
>> I have searched through the list archives but couldn't find anything
>> usable.
>> Google just gave me some links to Univention Corporate Server with
>> LinOTP.
>
> We've been using UCS (albeit without LinOTP) for a few years, it's not
> too bad. You might want to ask their support for details.

Yeah it's not too bad, but i prefer a standard linux distribution with
samba.
And thought there is somebody who has done such a setup, and could give
me some hints.
Even a comercial solution is ok, but looks like the most systems are for
windows servers.

>> Has anybody ever done such a setup with samba? And could give me any
>> hints?
>
> No idea. If all you need are file shares, any generic PAM-based
> solution
> will work. Domain authentication needs explicit Samba support, however.

PAM would be ok at the moment, but we think about switching our whole
setup
to samba4 AD. So it should be something that has explicit Samba support.

Cheers,

Christian