[Samba] Samba Xattr and Execute Bit always set.

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Jan 22 13:05:03 MST 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 20:06 +0100, Prunk Dump wrote:
> 2014/1/22 steve <steve at steve-ss.com>:

> You are right !

Good.

> I don't understand why the execute bit is set everywhere. It is not a
> inheritance problem because when I create the file directly on the
> server the execute bit is not set.

Repeat: the x bit is NOT set. Gnome is looking at it with the same eyes
as you before you began this thread. You now know different. Other
teachers can't modify your file. That's what you want, isn't it? What
you are now asking for is that the Gnome file manager look at the file
through your (now modified) cifs viewpoint. That is a different matter.
And yes, I've tried. Getting anyone else anywhere near understanding
what you are getting at is well nigh impossible. Let alone the Gnome
devs. For now of course, the ball is firmly with them!

Cheers,
Steve