[Samba] Missing option in samba-tool user add

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Jan 21 13:04:21 MST 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 02:52 +0800, Chan Min Wai wrote:

> But the main question is if windows RAT user tools will add it.
> If it is added by the users and computer management tools than there is no
> harm to add it in since it is already there.

We are supposed to be emulating a microsoft active directory domain
controller. Microsoft tools DO NOT add:
objectClass: posixAccount
End of story.

Why it's there or not is none of our concern. Add a minimum of uidNumber
and gidNumber to any domain user and he becomes a unix user. But,

Consider, '...there is no harm to add it in if it's already there'.

Rowland's (and microsoft's) point is that it IS already there, so why
add it again? It is unfortunate that we do not remove it during domain
classicupgrade. Yes, the schema allows it, but why complicate something
that is not in the Samba4 spirit and not found in what we are trying to
emulate?

Just my €0.02
Steve