[Samba] Missing option in samba-tool user add

Chan Min Wai dcmwai at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 11:52:18 MST 2014

Hi Rowland,

That really depend on how system get the user information.

Adding posixAccount objectclass denote that the use have access to
linux/unix

if using nslcd (nss-pam-ldapd) for example if we apply filter
filter passwd
(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(!(objectClass=computer))(uidNumber=*)(unixHomeDirectory=*))

This will make it so that only users with posixAccount objectclass are only
consider a linux users on the system.

You can also do this by creating an extra OU and put it in filter.
But still it would be meaningless if the users in this OU is without
uidNumber or unixHomeDirectory.

so Objectclass posixAccount force it to MUST have the following attribute.
"cn", "uid", "uidNumber", "gidNumber", "homeDirectory"

which make it an linux user :)

Still if you are using winbind and let all users to have access to linux,
that also can be done without posixAccount.

But the main question is if windows RAT user tools will add it.
If it is added by the users and computer management tools than there is no
harm to add it in since it is already there.

As long as all platform supported by winbind/nslcd which don't required
this objectclass...
Else we will need to add it as a backwards compatibility things.

Thank You