[Samba] switch from bind9_dlz to bind9 flate file

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 20 02:45:47 MST 2014

On 20/01/14 09:26, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai,
>
> The problem is indeed the windows server, i totaly agree...
> But my VOIP system is running on 2 windows servers and i cant turn these off.
> These servers entert my network without my boss consulting with me, to bad...
> And on these severs are my dns and dhcp.
>
> If i can't fix it, somehow, i have to setup 2 separate domains again... :-(( arg..
>
> So any advice?
> Im thinking, if i can move the dhcp and dns from windows to samba4, this would help.
> but keep in mind that the windows servers are now the master DC/AD so all fsmo roles are still there.
> and i cant demote my windows because of the VIOP software AND the MS Sql software on these servers.
>
> So i apriciate any suggestion..  How would you try to resolve this.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Louis

Hi Louis, Bearing in mind that I don't have any windows servers so
cannot be sure of this, I do not think that the dns-dhcp setup has
anything to do with the fsmo roles. I 'think' that you should be able to
move the dns-dhcp server to one of your S4 AD servers without problem,
as after all each client asks the network for an update to its lease and
the dhcp server replies and then updates the records in its database,
these records should then be replicated to any other DC's. All I can
suggest is setting up a test domain in VM's and seeing if you can move
the dhcp server without problems, I did something similar recently and
it worked for me.

Rowland