[Samba] Moving server to new box

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Jan 18 06:42:01 MST 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-18 at 14:26 +0100, Orinh wrote:
> Dne 17.1.2014 21:19, jimc napsal(a):
> > Hi!
> >
> > I wish to move my Samba 4 server to a new box. Since the old one is
> > pata and the new one is sata, I cannot simply swap disks.
> >
> > What is the best way to transfer my server without loosing
> > configuration files?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -jimc
> >
> Hi!
>
> I have used this procedure to migrate from x86 to x64 (works great).
> Good luck...
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_Recover
>
> Orinh

There's no info at that link I don't think. Anyway, it's quite easy.
Install Samba4 on the sata but don't provision. Then join it as an
additional DC. I'd leave it like that. If you need to lose the pata
altogether, like if it's giving disk errors, then grab (seize I think
they say) the fsmo's from the pata first before demoting it.
HTH
Steve