[Samba] Join Windows machines to a Samba3 domain

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Jan 17 05:09:02 MST 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 03:31 -0800, Lea Massiot wrote:
> Hello Rowland,
>
> Rowland Penny-5 wrote>
> > OK, this time I can see your smb.conf, but I do not understand it, what is
> > this:
> > passdb backend = v
> > I have never heard of this backend, also you do not seem to have the
> > 'netlogon' share that is required to be a PDC.
>
> Sorry for that. I'm not lucky. I try to do things right and I do them wrong.
> I think the "smb.conf" below is complete and correct this time.
> I've never had a "netlogon" share.
>
> [global]
>    workgroup = MY_DOMAIN
>    server string = %h Samba server
>    log level = 1
>    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>    max log size = 1000
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
>    logon path =
>    logon home =
>    domain logons = yes
>    os level = 254
>    preferred master = yes
>    domain master = yes
>    local master = yes
>    remote browse sync = yes
>    passdb backend = smbpasswd
>
> [my_partage]
>    comment = my_partage
>    path = /my_partage
>    force group = domadm
>    read only = no
>    create mask = 0664
>    directory mask = 0775
>    guest ok = yes
>
> Rowland Penny-5 wrote>
> > I personally think that you were actually running a workgroup, not a
> > domain and cannot see how you can get from there to an AD domain. With
> > only 6 users, you might as well start from scratch, set up a new samba4
> > AD server, create the 6 users in AD and then join the 20 machines to the
> > AD, this in the long run is probably  going to be the easiest way out.

Hi
Mmm. 6 users and 20 machines. Unless you need a domain for security
reasons, then maybe something like a cloud share would be better,
especially if you know the users.

Of course, if you wish to go ahead with Samba then don't hesitate to
post back. Give us loads of information. Even if you don't think it's
relevant. Converting the smb.conf you have to AD is easy. The most time
consuming part will probably be physically walking to each machine,
setting the dns and joining it to the domain.

Cheers,
Steve