[Samba] Join Windows machines to a Samba3 domain

Lea Massiot lmloge at orange.fr
Fri Jan 17 04:31:35 MST 2014

Hello Rowland,

Rowland Penny-5 wrote>
> OK, this time I can see your smb.conf, but I do not understand it, what is
> this:
> passdb backend = v
> I have never heard of this backend, also you do not seem to have the
> 'netlogon' share that is required to be a PDC.

Sorry for that. I'm not lucky. I try to do things right and I do them wrong.
I think the "smb.conf" below is complete and correct this time.
I've never had a "netlogon" share.

[global]
   workgroup = MY_DOMAIN
   server string = %h Samba server
   log level = 1
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
   logon path =
   logon home =
   domain logons = yes
   os level = 254
   preferred master = yes
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   remote browse sync = yes
   passdb backend = smbpasswd

[my_partage]
   comment = my_partage
   path = /my_partage
   force group = domadm
   read only = no
   create mask = 0664
   directory mask = 0775
   guest ok = yes

Rowland Penny-5 wrote>
> I personally think that you were actually running a workgroup, not a
> domain and cannot see how you can get from there to an AD domain. With
> only 6 users, you might as well start from scratch, set up a new samba4
> AD server, create the 6 users in AD and then join the 20 machines to the
> AD, this in the long run is probably  going to be the easiest way out.

When it works, it pretty much works like a domain... :)
I'm ready now to set up a new "Samba4 domain" the way you suggest.
Will I be able to keep my DHCPD and BIND9 configurations?
Can you help me?

Thank you and best regards.