[Samba] Join Windows machines to a Samba3 domain

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 17 04:05:42 MST 2014

On 17/01/14 10:41, Lea Massiot wrote:
> Below is what I posted yesterday without the "raw" tags.
>
> Below are some details about the Samba3 configuration which usually works
> for me.
>
> === MAIN CONFIGURATION FILE /etc/smb.conf ===
>
> [global]
>     workgroup = MY_DOMAIN
>     server string = %h Samba server
>     log level = 1
>     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>     max log size = 1000
>     socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
>     logon path =
>     logon home =
>     domain logons = yes
>     os level = 254
>     preferred master = yes
>     domain master = yes
>     local master = yes
>     remote browse sync = yes
>     passdb backend = v
>
> [my_partage]
>     comment = my_partage
>     path = /my_partage
>     force group = domadm
>     read only = no
>     create mask = 0664
>     directory mask = 0775
>     guest ok = yes
>
> === DOMAIN USERS' GROUP ===
>
> I add a "domadm" group.
>
> root> groupadd domadm
> root> net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=domadm rid=512
> type=d
>
> I add the users the "domadm" group in "/etc/group":
> domadm:x:1001:<username1>,<username2>,<username3>
>
> === MACHINES ===
>
> root> groupadd machines
>
> I add the machines on the LAN using the two commands:
> root> useradd -g machines -s /dev/null -d /bin/false <machine_name>$
> root> smbpasswd -a -m <machine_name>$
>
> === USERS ===
>
> I add the users using the two commands:
> root> useradd <username>
> root> smbpasswd -a <username>
>
> === SHARE ===
>
> root> mkdir -p /<my_partage>
> root> chown <username>:domadm /<my_partage>
> root> chmod g+w /<my_partage>
>

> Below are some details about the BIND9 server and DHCPD server
> configurations which usually works for me.
>
> - I have two zone files for name resolution and reverse name resolution.
> - The BIND9 and DHCPD are set to work together: when an IP is delivered by
> the DHCPD server to a client machine, the BIND9 zone files are updated
> automatically.
>
> Thank you for helping.
> Best regards.
>

> --
OK, this time I can see your smb.conf, but I do not understand it, what
is this:

passdb backend = v

I have never heard of this backend, also you do not seem to have the
'netlogon' share that is required to be a PDC.
I personally think that you were actually running a workgroup, not a
domain and cannot see how you can get from there to an AD domain. With
only 6 users, you might as well start from scratch, set up a new samba4
AD server, create the 6 users in AD and then join the 20 machines to the
AD, this in the long run is probably  going to be the easiest way out.

Rowland