[Samba] DomainDnsZone Replication Shows 200,000 Objects

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Jan 17 03:40:41 MST 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 05:23 +0100, Günter Kukkukk wrote:

> some additional notes.
>
> When the samba DLZ dns driver is creating dyn. dns entries, a time stamp
> is set on that record! This is the expected behavior for dynamic entries.
>
> This is _NOT_ the case when the internal dns used! :-(
>
> Because the time stamp is zero, such a dns entry is treated as being "static"!

Hi
Would this explain why our dns update requests using nsupdate fail
against the internal dns? The DNS record is created once when a Linux
client joins the domain, but is never subsequently updated by requests
from (in our case sssd which uses. . .) nsupdate. Converting to bind9
dlz, works fine.

Just to add a bit more confusion, windows boxes update fine with either
server.

Günter: did you say you have a patch to correct time-stamp on the
internal server? My boss has been pushing me to internal dns and so I'd
like to be able to test. Of course, will share back.
Thanks,
Steve