[Samba] Joining Windows Server 2012 to a Samba 3.5 or 3.6 domain

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 14:26:56 MST 2014

I have a samba classic domain, with a Samba 3.5.10 domain controller.  I
am trying to join a Windows Server 2012 R2 client.  I have updated the
registry.

    HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
         DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode 1
         DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired 0

These changes allow Windows 7 Pro desktops to join the domain. I have
not tried with Windows 8 or 2008.

When I attempt to join the domain  I get the error message

     The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted

However, I am able to sniff traffic between the Window server and the
PDC (nothing useful is shown.)   The "net use \\PDC" and "net view
\\PDC" commands from the Windows server work, so name resolution is not
an issue.   The "max protocol" on the PDC is NT1.    SMB2 is not an
option with Samba 3.5.x.   However the Get-SmbServerConfiguration
power shell command on  on the windows server shows that SMB1 is
enabled.   I can access samba shares from the windows server so SMB
version does not seem to be the issue. Client NTLMv2 auth is enabled on
the samba server.

  The nltest command on windows server also indicates that it is
locating the correct domain controller.

c> nltest /dsgetdc:SAMBADOMAIN

DC: \\PDC

Addresss: \\PDC

Dom name: SAMBADOMAIN

Command completed successfully

c>

Google searches indicate that people have been able to join Windows 8 to
a Samba 3.5.x domain.     The samba wiki indicate the registry changes
for Windows 2012 client should  be the same as Windows 7.

Has anyone joined Windows Server 2012 (or 2012R ) to Samba 3.5.x or
Samba 3.6.x?   Or even Windows 8 or 8.1?

My intention is to apply to the patches from my OS vendor to bring the
Samba version to 3.6.10 or later.

Thanks