[Samba] Join Windows machines to a Samba3 domain

Lea Massiot lmloge at orange.fr
Thu Jan 16 12:09:39 MST 2014

Thank you for your answer.

Below are some details about the Samba3 configuration which usually works
for me.

=== MAIN CONFIGURATION FILE /etc/smb.conf ===

=== DOMAIN USERS' GROUP ===

=== MACHINES ===

=== USERS ===

=== SHARE ===

Below are some details about the BIND9 server and DHCPD server
configurations which usually works for me.

- I have two zone files for name resolution and reverse name resolution.
- The BIND9 and DHCPD are set to work together: when an IP is delivered by
the DHCPD server to a client machine, the BIND9 zone files are updated
automatically.

======
I have to say that, at the time, it took me a lot of time to make all this
work properly.
Also, even if I agree with you (I wasn't cautious enough), I think that it's
wrong not to be able to revert to the previous state. Yet I don't know who
is to blame for this.
You didn't really answered my question: it's not possible to force the
Windows clients to work as they used to?
I just read in that document:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/samba-tool/domain/classicupgrade/HOWTO
the following sentence:

I wish I could know what happened which is not reversible.

Thank you for helping.