[Samba] Join Windows machines to a Samba3 domain

Lea Massiot lmloge at orange.fr
Thu Jan 16 11:13:24 MST 2014

Hello and thank you for your answer.

/Rowland Penny-5 wrote> So you set up a samba3 PDC and then tried to join a
windows AD server to it ?/

No, I didn't. Sorry for not having been clear enough on that point.
- I had a working Samba3 server on a machine A.
- I stopped it and apt-get installed a Samba4 PDC on this same machine A.
- Then I apt-get purged the samba4 package and tried to rerun the Samba3 PDC
which used to work perfectly before.
- Then I realized the Samba3 configuration wasn't working anymore.

/Rowland Penny-5 wrote> It would seem that ALL your clients are now looking
for an AD server that is no longer there./

*Yes indeed, this is what it looks like.
How can I change these Windows clients behaviour?
How can I reinit them?*

/Rowland Penny-5 wrote> I think that you are going to have to look into
upgrading your S3 server to a S4 AD server./

I would really prefer not to since it looks complicated to me and that I
can't really afford a Samba4 setup right now unless there is a really simple
procedure. But as far as I investigated, it's not straightforward to me.
Given the fact that I'm not specialized in that matters and that I only know
how to make DHCPD/BIND9 and SAMBA3 work together (which used to be good
enough for my needs until now), I would need a good
tutorial/howto/documentation which I haven't found yet (my OS is Debian
Wheezy).

Thank you for helping.
Best regards.