[Samba] User folder automatic creation - should use skel, but no

Márcio Merlone marcio.merlone at a1.ind.br
Thu Jan 16 09:45:54 MST 2014

Hi,

I am testing Samba 4.1.4 Sernet packages on Ubuntu 12.04 to replace our
old Samba 3.x server. I edited pam common-session file and added
'<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_home_share>session
required    pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0027' just before
pam_unix.so and pam_sss.so. If I shell-login on the server it create its
homedir as expected using /etc/skel with the correct umask. But when I
login on Windows it creates its homedir and profile folder without
copying /etc/skel nor honoring umask.

I assume Samba is creating the user's folder /before/ pam, and thus not
using skel, is this correct? What's wrong and how can I fix this?

Best regards.

--
*Marcio Merlone*
TI - Administrador de redes