[Samba] Samba 4 and Debian

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Jan 16 06:34:55 MST 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 11:13 +0100, Sven Schwedas wrote:
> Okay, winbind works with idmap_ad backend, once I manually added uids/gids.
>
> Wouldn't it be sensible if Samba did that automatically for built-in
> groups/users when provisioning with --use-rfc2307, or is there a
> drawback to having all exposed to winbind?

It's not one of the objectives. The aim is much more: If W2008 R2
doesn't do it, then neither does Samba4.

Of course, when working in a domain with a mix of Linux and windows
clients it becomes essential. But that's up to the admin to arrange.
Thankfully, the schema makes it very easy to do, provisioning
--use-rfc2307 or not.
HTH
Steve