[Samba] ERROR: Could not retrieve the actual domain, forest level and/or lowest DC function level!

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Wed Jan 15 09:15:58 MST 2014

On 1/9/2014 10:06 AM, Thomas Harold wrote:
> Doing some basic sanity checks on our Samba4 setup (migrating off of a
> Win2000/Win2003 AD) and the following command is throwing an error.  Not
> sure how to troubleshoot this as most other things seem to be working.
>
> # samba-tool domain level show
>
> ERROR: Could not retrieve the actual domain, forest level and/or lowest
> DC function level!

In digging around some more:

- This was originally a Windows 2000 Active Directory Domain.

- Looking at the domain properties in AD Users & Groups shows that it is
a 2000 domain on a 2000 forest (functional level).

- Later a Win2003 server was added (not Win2003 R2, but the first
version of 2003) and all roles were seized.  The functional level was
never upgraded to 2003.

- Running "addiag.exe" on the 2003 server shows no issues while running
the default tests.

- Samba4 has had no trouble joining the domain as either domain
controllers or as member servers.

- Attempting to do "adprep.exe /forestprep" says that the forest has
already been updated to 2003.  The same applies to running "adprep.exe
/domainprep".

So what I have is a bit of a mess where the ADPrep tool thinks the work
has already been done, but the Win2003 AD server thinks that it is still
running at the 2000 functional level.