[Samba] Samba 3 to Samba 4

Shem Pasamba shemgp at aiias.edu
Wed Jan 15 01:07:16 MST 2014

On 1/14/2014 5:07 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 14/01/14 08:38, Shem Pasamba wrote:
>> On 1/14/2014 4:25 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>> Hi, could you show us the smb.conf from the samba 4 server please ?
>>>
>>> Rowland
>> Here's the smb.conf in the server.
>>
>> # Global parameters
>> [global]
>>         workgroup = AIIAS.SAMBA4
>>         realm = aiias.samba4.edu
>>         netbios name = SAMBA4
>>         server role = active directory domain controller
>
> Right, the above line shows that you are running samba 4 as an active
> directory domain controller and as such you need to connect to it a
> lot differently to the way you are trying now.
>
> you have 'passdb backend = tdbsam' in your clients smb.conf, this is
> used to store passwords locally, you have then setup winbind to pull
> the users passwords from AD, I am pretty sure that you cannot do both
>
> As I said, it would seem you cannot have a dot in your workgroup name,
> see here: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-January/177858.html
I changed the workgroup name to AIIASSAMBA4 and I am still not able to
get any users from wbinfo -u. I join the domain using net rpc join -U
administrator.  I can't join the ads using net ads join AIIASSAMBA4 -U
administrator as it says:
Failed to join domain: Invalid configuration and configuration
modification was not requested

Thanks for your help.