[Samba] Windows Folder Redirection & Samba 3.6

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Tue Jan 14 13:41:29 MST 2014

Running Samba 3.6 and having issues redirecting profile folders in WIndows 7 to the Samba share.  I'm getting the following error in Windows Event Viewer when it tries to create the folders:
"This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object."

Here are the things I have tried in order to clear this up:
- Turn on the GPO option that disables permissions checks on Roaming Profiles.
- Turn off the option in GPO on each folder redirection that grants exclusive ownership.
- Turn on Samba "profile acls" option.
- Manually create base folders ahead of time.  This partially works, but causes issues when Windows tries to create subfolders inside those directories, and it's impossible to guess the exact folder structure of, for example, the Roaming Application Data folder - it's going to vary from user to user.

Anyone have any work-arounds or solutions to this?  I saw something about an issue with the idmap.ldb file in Samba 4, but since I'm not using Samba4 nor do I seem to have that idmap file, I don't think this is the issue.

Thanks,
Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Confidential and Proprietary Information.  If this message is not intended for you, you are strictly prohibited from using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please delete the message from your mailbox.  This e-mail may contain export-controlled material and should be handled accordingly.