[Samba] How to move NT4-Domain from one samba-PDC to another

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Tue Jan 14 04:36:17 MST 2014

Could someone please point me at the current best practice to move an
existing Samba-NT4-Domain from one samba-PDC to another?

I have to move over ... the old server gets substituted.

The current PDC runs Samba 3.5.11 and has its data in tdb-files, not in
LDAP. The new server runs Samba 3.6.22 if that is important in any way.
(both servers on gentoo linux)

This is a rather small domain with around 20 users/machines ...

As far as I understand I will have to copy over stuff like
/var/lib/samba etc ... and make sure to keep up the SID ("net
getlocalsid" ..).

Is there any documented howto? On google I only found rather old
ml-postings etc.

Thanks for any help on this!

Stefan