[Samba] Troubles Using Samba 3.6 as Stand Alone server

Stuart Reedy stu at coe.uky.edu
Thu Jan 9 12:53:55 MST 2014

We're running Samba 3.6.20 on a Slackware box and experiences strange
file-system rights issues.

One of the symptoms seems to be strange messages from smbpasswd like:

Forcing Primary Group to 'Domain Users' for thatuser

We don't have a group called "Domain Users." We are not joined to a
domain or AD. Our goal is to use Unix (Linux) groups for controlling access.

Can this be done with Samba 3.6.20?  Any guesses to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Stu...
--
Stuart Reedy               Working hard for a great university!
stu at coe.uky.edu
859 257-7966               http://www.coe.uky.edu/~stu/