[Samba] Unable to join the domain, problem with DNS records

Luka Goltnik luka.goltnik at mave.si
Thu Jan 9 04:03:44 MST 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Rowland Penny
<rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>wrote:

>  On 09/01/14 10:31, Luka Goltnik wrote:
>
> Rowland hello,
>
>  o.m.s was just my attempt to try and shorten the whole thing o stands
> for office m stands for mave and s stands for si.
>

> So, lets be clear here, where you have posted o.m.s, we should read
> office.mave.si ??

Yes, that is correct

> When you attempt to join from a windows 7 client, just what are you
> entering as the realm/workgroup ??

I'm entering OFFICE.MAVE.SI
Entering just MAVE.SI gives me a completely different error:
"
An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV)
resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD
DC) for domain "MAVE.SI".

The error was: "No records found for given DNS query."
(error code 0x0000251D DNS_INFO_NO_RECORDS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.MAVE.SI
"
Which kind of makes sense, since I get this answer from my server:
 # host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.MAVE.SI
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.MAVE.SI has no SRV record

 As for files, here they are:

>   /etc/samba/smb.conf
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = MAVE.SI
>

> I have a feeling that you cannot use a dot in the workgroup name, i.e.
> MAVE_SI would be ok, but MAVE.SI as you have it wouldn't.

I can just change it to MAVE in case that that's the problem. The only
question is, do I have to go through the whole initialization of samba all
over again?

>  Try changing the above file to this: (the default samba4 one)
>

> [libdefaults]
>         default_realm = OFFICE.MAVE.SI
>         dns_lookup_realm = false
>         dns_lookup_kdc = true

Did that and it Kerberos still works, if I try testing it with kinit and
klist commands.

>  ----
> /etc/hosts
>  # /etc/hosts: Local Host Database
> #
> # This file describes a number of aliases-to-address mappings for the for
> # local hosts that share this file.
> #
> # In the presence of the domain name service or NIS, this file may not be
> # consulted at all; see /etc/host.conf for the resolution order.
> #
>
>  # IPv4 and IPv6 localhost aliases
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> ::1             localhost
> 127.0.0.1       office
> 127.0.0.1       office.mave.si
>
>  192.168.1.16    office.mave.si  office
>
>  ----
>

> Hmm, the 127.0.0.1 line should probably be just '127.0.0.1    office'

I removed the other one now.

>   cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Generated by net-scripts for interface lo
> domain mave.si
>

>   And here is probably your main problem, it is not pointing to your
> samba dns server, it should be:
>
> search mave.si
> domain <http://mave.si>mave.si
> nameserver 127.0.0.1

And did this as well.

But I still have the same problem joining client to domain as I did before.

Regards,
Luka