[Samba] Unable to join the domain, problem with DNS records

Luka Goltnik luka.goltnik at mave.si
Thu Jan 9 02:59:56 MST 2014

Dear Derek,

thank you for your reply.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Werthmuller, Derek <dwerthmu at ctg.albany.edu
> wrote:

> Assuming that O.M.S is the full name of the domain.

Your assumption is correct.
Also, I don't know if this is a problem, but my server's hostname is also o.

> Try running this command on the samba server to verify that clients will
> be able to find the DC via DNS.
> #host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.O.M.S
> The results should return the IP and name of the DC.

As you suggested, I issued the command #host -t SRV
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.O.M.S, and this is the reply I got:
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.o.m.s
has SRV record 0 100 389 *o.o.m.s*.

Now I don't have the record in DNS server for o.o.m.s and I think this is
where the problem lies but I have no clue as how to solve this issue. Also
you probably noticed, in reply there was no IP address.

> 1) verify that the server isn't blocking the DNS port (53)

On the server DNS port 53 is accessible from my whole network and I'm
currently not running any firewall as the server is behind firewall and is
not accessible from outside world.

> 2) Make sure that the windows client has its DNS server set to the IP
> address of your DC.

Made sure twice. ;-)

> 3) Make sure that on the windows system in the name of the domain you are
> trying to become a member of is O.M.S  not just O.

I made sure about that, but the problem is, when joining a windows client
into domain I get this error:
 "
DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record
used to locate a domain controller for domain "OFFICE.MAVE.SI":

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.OFFICE.MAVE.SI

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
office.office.mave.si

However no domain controllers could be contacted.
"
Which (at least I think so) implies, that the client managed to contact the
DNS server on o.m.s, but got the reply *o.o.m.s* instead of *o.m.s* or IP
address alone.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,