[Samba] Unable to join the domain, problem with DNS records

Luka Goltnik luka.goltnik at mave.si
Wed Jan 8 06:58:43 MST 2014

Dear Samba users and gurus,

I'm currently setting up a data server for our company, since the old one
is slowly dying of age. At the company we bought new server and decided to
put Linux on it and use Samba for file sharing. Now, The installation went
fine, and I'm currently running Gentoo Linux with Samba 4.1.3. Setting up
the Samba was no problem at all, up to the point where I want to join
client pc into domain.

I have Windows 7 client machine and when I'm in the process of joining
domain, I get this error on my client machine:
---
DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record
used to locate a domain controller for domain "O.M.S":
The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.O.M.S
The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
o.o.m.s

However no domain controllers could be contacted.

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) or (AAAA) records that map the names of the domain controllers
to their IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.
- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or
are not running.
---

Now, as far as I have gotten is, that the problem lies in (internal) DNS.
If I query for _ldap.tcp.dc_msdcs.O.M.S I get the SRV record o.o.m.s
instead of o.m.s

$ host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.O.M.S
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.O.M.S has SRV record 0 100 389 o.o.m.s.

Does anyone have any idea what is there for me to do, to get this working?
I've searched the internet for solution and haven't found one, so I turn to
you for help.

Any help or tip would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Luka