[Samba] DomainDnsZone Replication Shows 200,000 Objects

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Thu Jan 2 20:36:53 MST 2014

I use
ldbsearch -H
/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=DOMAIN,DC=LOCAL.ldb '(&(name=HOSTNAME)(isDeleted=TRUE))'
dn
to search for specific hosts or
ldbsearch -H
/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=DOMAIN,DC=LOCAL.ldb 'isDeleted=TRUE'
dn
to get an list of all deleted dn's.

To change the default lifetime of tombstones with ADSI navigate to
CN=Directory Service,CN=Windows
NT,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=DOMAIN,DC=LOCAL open the properties
of that folder and change the attribute called tombstoneLifetime to the
desired value. I restarted samba afterwards and it took a few minutes
till samba had deleted all the outdated objects.