[Samba] can't get one specific group to show up in the output of id on one system but it does show up in another identically configured server in the same cluster

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 15:28:42 MST 2014

Hi all,

I have two rhel 6.3 servers running sernet samba 4.1.4-7 with winbind
connecting to AD. They're also running ctdb. For some very strange reason I
can't get one specific AD group to show up in the output of "id username"
or the gid of that group to show up in "wbinfo -r username" for the user on
one of the servers but it shows up fine on the other. The strange part is
that "getent group groupName" shows that the user in question belongs to
the group on both systems.

I've stopped, ctdb, smb, nmb, winbind, nscd deleted all the files out of
/var/lib/samba, restarted all the daemons again and I'm still having the
same problem. I've set persistent=off for groups in nscd and I've even
tried it with nscd completely turned off and I still have the same problem
where wbinfo -r, id, or the groups command  doesn't show one specific group
for this user.

Any ideas what's going on, how to debug this further?

Thanks,
Sabuj