[Samba] Samba4 acting as standalone server, smb.conf parameters and run daemons !

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 28 13:27:31 MST 2014

On 28/02/14 20:02, Computer service SPb. wrote:
> I have provisioned Samba4 as the following:
> /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool domain provision --host-name=Router
> --realm=mygroup.net <http://mygroup.net> --domain=MyGroup
> --host-ip=192.168.0.254 --adminpass='Admin1234' --server-role=dc
> --function-level=2008_R2 --use-rfc2307 --use-xattrs=auto
> --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
> I use Bind9, I tested it for setting up of Samba4 for Openchange in
> previous year and I get it nicely working together (Samba4 and Bind9
> as dynamic config) .
> There IS network browsing with a Samba4 AD server - either I have
> access via Netbios names or browsing (except some conditions for
> pptp/l2tp VPN users, but even for they I have working browsing) . I
> don' t have any wins in Lan. I had server role as "active directory
> domain controller" as "dc" .
> So, may be I should not but I start nmbd by myself written script
> after samba binary start.
> Because if I don' t start nmbd I will not get browsing.

There is no 'may be' about it, do not run nmbd with the samba daemon, if
you care to follow the link I posted, somewhere along the line of
postings is the reason why not.

> When I talked with Andrew (in the previous year or year before it) as
> I remember he said that samba binary controls other daemons (in DC
> variant) and run it and may be browsing functions will be added later
> in samba binary for DC opertional. But to this time there is not
> still code for browsing in samba binary.

The devs are concentrating on other, more valuable things at the moment,
they will get to network browsing as soon as possible.

> But, there is one value that has to be set up in smb.conf file what
> Samba4 as DC allow to get nmbd working and allow to have browsing.

I have never heard of this value, what is it???

> To prove it I can to think to provide pptp access to my server (it is
> as router /vpn with samba4 installed) that you could see by your own
> eyes that all works fine.

I know that it seems to work, but there are hidden problems with doing it.

Rowland