[Samba] Samba4 acting as standalone server, smb.conf parameters and run daemons !

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 28 12:42:44 MST 2014

On 28/02/14 19:20, Computer service SPb. wrote:
> Ok, for standalone server.
> What about dcerpc endpoint ?
> But as I wrote earlier about Nmbd while Samba4 as DC at the moment I have
> fully working configuration of Samba4 DC (samba binary is run) and nmbd
> binary is started and run with it.
> But I start nmbd separatelly by script written by me after samba binary is
> started (when Samba4 acts as DC) .
> And more over I have even semi worked configuration of Samba4 as DC and
> nmbd with browsing of Lan / VPN (client-to-server) clients when they could
> see each other in their neighborhood (but works partly because of VPN
> clients I don' t know why but could be as master/backup browser at the
> moment and I didn' t set up Samba4 as Wins) .

You seem to be at the same point as I was 18 months ago and I asked a
similar question:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2012-August/086041.html

It was explained to me that you should not run the samba daemon with the
nmbd daemon and I was sure that Andrew Bartlett altered Samba so that
this wasn't possible, but you seem to be doing this, just how did you
provision samba?

There is no network browsing with a Samba4 AD server, but you can
navigate via address.

Rowland