[Samba] Samba4 acting as standalone server, smb.conf parameters and run daemons !

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 28 03:44:36 MST 2014

On 28/02/14 09:24, Denis Cardon wrote:
> Hi Computer service SPb
>
> > I have built Samba4 4.1.5 from sources and provisioned as standalone
>> server. I don' t need to act Samba4 as DC.
>> I need fully working server, including shares access, network
>> neighborhood
>> browsing, LDAP (I suupose it should be anyway by default) .
>
> LDAP is used in DC environment to store user, group, machine accounts
> and many other things. If you are planning to have a simple workgroup
> server, I think your users should be stored in standard SAM like tdb
> files, like in the 3.x serie.
>
>> What values should be added to smb.conf, in particular to server
>> services ?
>> Is dcerpc endpoint servers parameter necassary ?
>> What daemons should be started,smbd, nmbd, winbindd, samba ?
>
> "samba" process is for DC role, so you shouldn't need it. I have no
> experience of running nmbd independantly of "samba" process, in a DC
> environmenent smbd et nmbd are started automatically by "samba"
> process. And there is some caveat with the samba4 version of winbind.

If you provision samba4 with 'samba-tool domain provision' you can then
only start the samba daemon, this in turn starts the smbd daemon, the
daemons nmbd & winbindd will not start at all, even if you try to!

If you want to use samba4 as a standalone server, just follow the howtos
out on the internet for samba3, but refer to 'man smb.conf' to ensure
that the parameters in smb.conf are still valid etc.

Rowland