[Samba] Samba4 acting as standalone server, smb.conf parameters and run daemons !

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Fri Feb 28 02:24:32 MST 2014

Hi Computer service SPb

 > I have built Samba4 4.1.5 from sources and provisioned as standalone
> server. I don' t need to act Samba4 as DC.
> I need fully working server, including shares access, network neighborhood
> browsing, LDAP (I suupose it should be anyway by default) .

LDAP is used in DC environment to store user, group, machine accounts
and many other things. If you are planning to have a simple workgroup
server, I think your users should be stored in standard SAM like tdb
files, like in the 3.x serie.

> What values should be added to smb.conf, in particular to server services ?
> Is dcerpc endpoint servers parameter necassary ?
> What daemons should be started,smbd, nmbd, winbindd, samba ?

"samba" process is for DC role, so you shouldn't need it. I have no
experience of running nmbd independantly of "samba" process, in a DC
environmenent smbd et nmbd are started automatically by "samba" process.
And there is some caveat with the samba4 version of winbind.

> Where is able to read for it.
> Because of there is info for Samba4 DC in the most internet resources.

samba4 developpement is focused on DC support, so that is expected.

Hope this helps,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon