[Samba] Samba and CEPH

David Disseldorp ddiss at suse.de
Wed Feb 26 16:21:18 MST 2014

Hi Ron

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:02:34 -0500
Ron Gage <ron at rongage.org> wrote:

> I am in the process of deploying a POC around SAMBA and CEPH.  I'm
> having some trouble locating concise instructions on how to get them to
> work together (without having to mount CEPH to the computer first and
> then exporting that mount via SAMBA).
>
> Right now, my stopper is trying to locate ceph.so for x64 CentOS 6.5.
>
> [2014/02/26 15:05:23.923617,  0] ../lib/util/modules.c:56(load_module)
>    Error loading module '/usr/lib64/samba/vfs/ceph.so':
> /usr/lib64/samba/vfs/ceph.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory

Samba can't load the Ceph VFS module on your system. The module is only
present in Samba 4.1.0 and later.

> Of course, if I could find a more up-to-date SAMBA4 package for Centos,
> that would be great as well...
> [root at mgr yum.repos.d]# smbd --version
> Version 4.0.0rc4

As you've already indicated, an alternative to using vfs_ceph would be
to share a locally mounted Ceph Filesystem. Support for ACLs was
recently added to CephFS, so this may make more sense given that
vfs_ceph appears to be lacking such support.

Cheers, David