[Samba] Minimal configuration for Name Service

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Wed Feb 26 10:11:01 MST 2014

Hello Thiago,

Am 26.02.2014 16:16, schrieb Thiago Crepaldi:
> It seems to work fine (http://<mynetbiosname> redirected to our device
> page), but an "official" confirmation would make me less nervous about this
> really odd use case.

If you only want to http://servername, you simply have to add that host
to your DNS server. http does not use netbios. It uses DNS for name
resolution.

 > My question is, regardless or security mode (workgroup/AD), what
 > would be the minimal smb.conf configuration to provide its own name
 > resolution and completely turn off file/authentication services ?

I think, the most minimal config is:

[global]
workgroup = WKG
netbios name = MYNAME

I know, that this isn't an answer to your question, but why does your
company want to run services (smb, etc.) on a host, that doesn't serve
anything through it? It only opens places for attacks if it's not
updated regularly.

If you want to connect to other services on this host, you don't need
Samba, as most services use DNS for name resolution.

Regards,
Marc