[Samba] samba4 ADS no logon servers

Lars Hanke debian at lhanke.de
Wed Feb 26 01:16:20 MST 2014

I set up a samba4 test server on Debian Wheezy using the packages from
sernet. Basically it seems working. I tried the tests from the HowTo in
the samba wiki and could not find anything wrong. It seems to resolve
all DNS names, I can kinit Administrator, getent passwd has the samba
specific stuff, ... But as soon as I want to work with the ADS,
apparently nothing works at all.

root at nfs4:~# net ads info
ads_connect: No logon servers
ads_connect: No logon servers
Didn't find the ldap server!
root at nfs4:~# host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.mgr
_ldap._tcp.mgr has SRV record 0 100 389 nfs4.mgr.
root at nfs4:~# smbclient //nfs4/netlogon -UAdministrator -c 'ls'
Enter Administrator password:
Domain=[AD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.4-SerNet-Debian-7.wheezy]
   .                                   D        O  Thu Feb 20 15:13:27 2014
   ..                                  D        O  Thu Feb 20 15:13:41 2014
root at nfs4:~#

Any idea what is wrong? Is there any systematic approach to troubleshoot
such an installation?

Thanks for your help,
  - lars.