[Samba] FreeBSD/ZFS/S3FS usage and development questions

Joe Maloney jmaloney at pcbsd.org
Tue Feb 25 22:30:15 MST 2014

I've noticed that the samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset --use-s3fs command does
not work on a ZFS filesystem on FreeBSD.  It does work if sysvol is moved
to a volume that is able to be mounted with the acls flag.

I will reference a ticket I started with FreeNAS here:

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4351

As of version 9.2.1.1 s3fs is now the default using the workaround known
for FreeBSD.

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/net/samba41/files/README.FreeBSD.in?revision=340872&view=markup

It seems to work well for the most part and things like smbstatus work.
 However I've noticed the inability to create any group policy objects.  So
I started thinking about the sysvolreset command.

Am I correct in thinking that as suggested early without running samba-tool
ntacl sysvolreset the conversion from ntvfs to s3fs after an initial
provision with ntvfs would not be fully complete?

I also suggested this as maybe a good starting point for fixing the sysvol
reset command with ZFS.  Is this the correct file?

https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=python/samba/ntacls.py;h=53438d84bffbc088e3aa0d177b728a2797407c05;hb=HEAD

Is it possible to simply disable the hard requirements for POSIX acls or
bypass the check in some way?  Or are POSIX acls somehow essential to
setting the permissions to begin with using the python scripts?

Joe Maloney