[Samba] Samba4 AD and Zimbra LDAP server

Petros Petros.Listig at fdrive.com.au
Tue Feb 25 17:50:36 MST 2014

Hi all,

I plan to upgrade Samba to be a AD server (using FreeBSD)

I also have a Zimbra mail server using internal LDAP (it is OpenLDAP
with a schema suitable for the mail server)

At the moment I bind a few other web applications (Redmine, a wiki
etc) to the Zimbra server for LDAP authorisation.

Of course, I would like to simplify user experience by using the same
user/password for the Samba domain too.

Zimbra using Samba4 LDAP or the other way around.. all seems to be
tricky and it all feels unsupported/experimental..

I also thought about a password synchronisation as a "poor man's
solution" but I am not sure whether this is achievable, e.g. using
ldapsearch and friends. I am also not sure about the format used by
both LDAP servers yet, vaguely remembering Windows using MD4 in the
past or so.

Any help and recommendation would be appreciated.

Regards
Peter