[Samba] Problems building FreeBSD file server

Doug Meredith doug.meredith at skyridge.com
Tue Feb 25 13:48:51 MST 2014

I have Googled my brains out without success, and I'm hoping that someone
here can give me some tips.  I'm trying to build a new file server, and
I've concluded that ZFS is the technology that I want to use.  After doing
some research I settled on FreeBSD 10 as the platform to provide it.

I have an existing AD domain (two Samba 4.1.4 DCs running on Debian) and
the file server will be a member server.

Requirements:

   - Use AD for authentication
   - Full Windows ACL support with the ability to manage permissions from
   Windows
   - All shares will be on ZFS

I have spent a great deal of time trying to set this up using the samba41
package, and I've had numerous problems, which don't even seem to be
consistent.  When you install the package it informs you that it is still
considered experimental, so perhaps I have nobody to blame but myself.

I decided to try the samba36 package, but when I installed it, it said that
it was compiled without ADS support and that I would need to build from
source if I wanted that functionality.  Building from source isn't out of
the question, but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to.

So, the big question:  Is what I want realistic?  Is this doable and stable?

What version of Samba should I use?  Where should I get it from?

I should stress that I am building a new server that will be used for file
serving and nothing else.  I'm not hung up on the Samba version, so long as
I get what I need.  I'm not hung up on version 10 of FreeBSD if 9 is a
better choice.  I'm not even hung up on using FreeBSD if there is a better
choice.  I briefly considered Solaris, but it doesn't seem to be supported
as a Hyper-V VM.

Any advice, experience or tips would be much appreciated.  Thanks folks.

Doug