[Samba] problem mapping share using hostname of server

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Tue Feb 25 12:14:36 MST 2014

Hello Diane,

Am 25.02.2014 16:06, schrieb Martin, Diane:
> I can map the share using \\<ip<file:///\\%3cip> address>\testarea.
> If I attempt to map using using \\servername\testarea<file:///\\servername\testarea> I receive an error.
>
> smbclient -L //<servername>/testarea  on the unix box is successful
>
> When I run a net view command I receive the following:
> C:\Users\Desktop>net view \\<servername>\testarea<file:///\\%3cservername%3e\testarea>
> System error 53 has occurred.
> Network path not found
>
> I'm leaning towards something not quite right between samba config and DNS?  But I'm not sure where to look at this point.
> Any input would be greatly appreciated

Can you
# nslookup servername
on the Win7 box to check, if the name is resolved correctly?

Is the computer joined to the domain? And is the server a PDC or member
server. If member server is it a member in AD or an NT4-style domain?

 > Running samba version 3.2 on AIX 6.1.  Mapping share on windows 7
 > workstation.

3.2 came out 2008 and is discontinued since almost 3 years. You should
consider to move to a newer version. A lot of bugs have been fixed and
support for "newer" windows OS like Win7 has been added and got
improved. :-)

Regards,
Marc