[Samba] Building Samba on Solaris

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Feb 25 11:42:59 MST 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 01:37:28PM -0500, Thomas Schulz wrote:

> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 01:56:33PM -0500, Thomas Schulz wrote:
> > > For anyone wanting to build and install Samba on a Solaris machine:
> > > I have successfully built and installed Samba 4.1.4 on a Solaris 10 i386
> > > machine. You will have to build and install a newer version of Python
> > > before you can configure Samba. You must configure Python with
> > > --enable-shared. See bug 10261 at bugzilla.samba.org for the details
> > > of why that is.
> > >
> > > If you are going to build Samba with the gcc compiler you will have to
> > > edit a script in lib/replace in the Samba source. See bug 10261 at
> > > bugzilla.samba.org for the fix.
> > >
> > > If you ae going to build Samba with the Sun c compiler you will have to
> > > apply a fix first. See bug 10315 at bugzilla.samba.org for the details.
> > >
> > > The resultant binaries and libraries do not end up with a run path pointing
> > > to the place where Samba will be installed. To fix that set the run path
> > > with the LDFLAGS environmental variable when configuring Samba. For example
> > > if you want to install Samba in /opt/local/samba4, configure as follows:
> > >
> > > #! /bin/sh
> > > LDFLAGS="-R/opt/local/samba4/lib:/opt/local/samba4/lib/private" \
> > > ./configure configure  --prefix=/opt/local/samba4
> > >
> > > Tom Schulz
> > > Applied Dynamics Intl.
> > > schulz at adi.com
> >
> > If you're interested in Samba on Solaris could I put
> > upon you to test this patch ?
> >
> > It's an implementation of Solaris ports as a tevent
> > background. I've sent this to the Oracle Samba Solaris
> > maintainer but got no feedback. I'd love to know if
> > this helps with Samba running on Solaris.
> >
> > It still applies to current master. Feedback most
> > welcome !
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > 	Jeremy.
>
> I applied the patch. Confugure correctly runs the new two checks and
> make compiles tevent.c and tevent_port.c with no warnings. No testing
> yet. At the moment I don't know enough to know what to test.

Great ! So just run it as normal. It shouldn't break
anything, but should make the usage of the network
packet notification more efficient (i.e. winbindd
should be much more effecient in handling multiple
clients).

Short answer - if you notice anything changes
except less CPU then that's a problem :-).

Thanks,

Jeremy