[Samba] pdbedit -e broken

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Feb 23 02:58:24 MST 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 03:36 -0500, sambaz at gmx.com wrote:
> I am trying to export my samba password database using
>
> pdbedit -e smbpasswd:smbpass
>
> Mixed in with successful accounts are many errors:
>
> Importing account for bob...ok
> build_sam_pass: Failing attempt to store user with non-uid based user RID.
> Importing account for fred...failed
> Importing account for brian...ok
>
> 1) Why does it say "importing" when I am exporting?

Because you are doing both, exporting from your existing database into
an smbpasswd database.

> 2) How do I correctly export all of my data?
>
> The failed users have nothing to distinguish them from the working users.

The smbpasswd file does not store user RID values, it used a
'algorithmic' mapping of 2*uid+1000.  To write out a valid smbpasswd
file, this must be reversed.  If that doesn't match the user's UID, the
import fails.

what do you want to do with your database, one 'exported'?

Andrew Bartlett