[Samba] Strange saving Errors with Office 2007 since i upgradede from 4.1.3 to 4.1.4

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Wed Feb 19 14:42:57 MST 2014

Hi,

Upgraded our debian wheezy servers last week from sernet 4.1.3 to 4.1.4.
Since then i get some strange behaviour with Office 2007 for users with
roaming profiles.
If an User opens an Word document via double click on an file in an
network share (happens on samba 4.1.4 and as well on MS Server
2003/2008/2008 R2) and tries to safe the file he gets an "this file can
not be saved because it is opened in another session" message.
If the users opens the same file from withing Word it can be saved
without issues.
If an file is located on the local disc the error also does not occure.
If an local profiles and user account is used the error does also not
occure.
Other Office Versions (tested 2000 and 2010) are not affected.
There have been no windows or other software updates beside the samba
ipgrade from 4.1.3 to 4.1.4. All our workstations with Office 2007 are
affected, tried it with different user profiles. Same users have no
problems with other office versions on other machines.

I grabed level3 logs of what is happening if i try to save an file
opened from the explorer vs. opened from within office 2007.

Since there is an workaround for that issue i'll wait for 4.1.5 and see
if the problem does still occure before i file an bug report. Just
wondering if there have been any parameter default changes in 4.1.4?

achim~