[Samba] Problem browsing shares on 4.1.4 (Ubuntu 12.04)

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Feb 18 07:51:43 MST 2014

My problem is samba 4.1.4 with Windows 2008R2 as master AD/DC server.
with samba4 as extra DC.
The time stamps on the DNS/DHCP records in dns are creating very big log files for me.
And since MS has changed there licencing im now in state of creating a completely new setup.

so samba people with windows servers in it, watch it...
read :
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx#tab=1

Open the document, Page 5, click on the link below.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/9/68964284-864d-4a6d-aed9-f2c1f8f23e14/Assessing_Windows_Server_Licensing.docx

??         Any direct or indirect access of Windows Server requires a CAL, except for anonymous access through the Internet. For example,
the use of DNS?a service that helps route network traffic?requires the purchase of a Windows Server license and CALs to
use and access this particular role in managing your organization?s domain names.
Even with infrequent or occasional use, access of Windows Server DNS capabilities requires a CAL.

Q: Do I need a Windows Client Access License (CAL) for machines that just use Windows Server for DNS or DHCP?

A: The only time you don't require a Windows CAL is when accessing Windows Server hosted services from the Internet in an unauthenticated manner.
      Machines using Windows Server for DNS or DHCP require Windows CALs. This is confirmed in Microsoft's licensing documentation.

Best regards,

Louis