[Samba] Settings for safe interop between Samba and NFS

Markus Hauschild Markus.Hauschild at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Feb 18 01:17:40 MST 2014

Hi,

I have read lots of confusing and even contrary statements as to how to configure a Samba share which may also be accessed via NFS.

>From one thread [1] on the samba-technical list I gather that disabling kernel oplocks will be enough.

So my questions are:
Will turning off kernel oplocks be enough to ensure safety while also exporting the same share with NFS?
Do I need to consider any other settings (strict locks, oplocks in genreal)?
Is there any difference from an interop/safety point of view between NFSv3 and NFSv4 accessing files in parallel to Samba?

Cheers,
Markus

[1] http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/Is-kernel-oplocks-yes-a-good-default-td4548869.html