[Samba] winbind: How to map Administrator to "root" on AD member server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 17 03:42:49 MST 2014

On 16/02/14 22:32, Björn JACKE wrote:
> On 2014-02-16 at 21:57 +0000 Rowland Penny sent off:
>> You are right about administrator not being able to login because of
>> the home directory, but Administrator isn't supposed to login to a
>> linux machine, so that isn't really a problem. I personally have
>> never had a problem logging onto a linux domain machine as root, are
>> you sure that your problem isn't just a problem with your setup,
>> after all, nobody else has ever complained about this particular
>> problem.
> read in the bug report: the problem is in that case that root's home directory
> is no longer considered to be /root by sshs. user names and uid numbers should
> always be unique. A lot of things will break otherwise.

I did read the bug report and if you take notice, I did agree with you
about the Administrator login and its home directory, but I cannot get
the problem that you report. For me, no matter where I start from, ssh
login of root works, it also gets the correct home directory of /root.
This is why I asked if the problem is just with your setup, for
instance, you could try turning off nscd, in my opinion this is probably
where your problem lies, not in samba.

Rowland