[Samba] samba4.1.4 samba-tool fails to join domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 14 23:14:45 MST 2014

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 10:37 -0700, CJ Keist wrote:
> All,
>      I have compiled and installed samba with no errors on OmniOS
> 151.008j-r1.  Reading the following wiki to join to an existing AD domain:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC
>
> All steps go through with out any issues until I run:
>
> bin/samba-tool domain join engr.colostate.edu DC -Uadministrator
> --realm=engr.colostate.edu --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
>
> I get the following error:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "bin/samba-tool", line 33, in <module>
>      from samba.netcmd.main import cmd_sambatool
>    File
> "/opt/samba-4.1.4/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/__init__.py", line
> 27, in <module>
>      import samba.param
> ImportError: No module named param
>
> I cannot find the samba.param file in the samba install folder anywhere.
>   Looking like something didn't go right during the install?
>
> I did just basic configure command:
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/samba-4.1.4
> make
> make install

My guess is there is something else, perhaps an old pre-4.0
installation, that is providing the 'samba' namespace, but not the
bindings implemented in C.  This also happens if there is a
site-packages under both PREFIX/lib and PREFIX/lib64.

Otherwise, it's a bit odd.  The big hammer I use when trying to find and
fix this kind of thing is strace, trying to work out what directories it
looks in, and therefore which ones might be 'blocking' it finding the
real samba/param.so.

Andrew Bartlett